Skipton High Street

• Posts 2838
  • Thank you received: 31

BertieWooster created the topic: Skipton High Street

Not sure whether any of you have seen this (and, yes, I'm posting a lot today as I have huge amounts of wrok to do), but Skipton High Street was named Street of the Year last night.

Madness.

Some of my staff were there on behalf of 'City of the Year' contenders Manchester (it lost to Brizzle). They'd been given a poem specially commissioned by the city council to read out if it won. And the writer of this Manchester-worshipping piece? Famous 'Lancastrian' Ian McMillan. From Barnsley.
The topic has been locked.
  • Posts 1093
  • Thank you received: 4

Bradwan replied the topic: Re:Skipton High Street

A few years ago I thought it might be a good idea to try and not lose my temper all the time; so I have been trying really hard to be nothing but positive about Ian McMillan.

Nack that! I know someone who has worked on shows he has done more than once. The man's accent is as natural as Bruce Forsyth's hair! It has never sounded like a Barnsley accent, it is a Hampstead Oxfam Shop version. It seems that he is an ok bloke, and the fact people are buying his accent and poems shows the man has an excellent eye for the main chance; and there is some envy here; but is there anything to him apart from the way he talks?

Creator of the J.B. Priestley Night and International Hat Throwing
  • Posts 985
  • Thank you received: 3

nurseman replied the topic: Re:Skipton High Street

I would be interested to know what the decision was based on. I can't bear Skipton High Street. The market does my nut in because I can never get to where I want without falling out without at least one other pedestrian. I try to avoid the place personally.
  • Evening Star
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Evening Star replied the topic: Re:Skipton High Street

The beauty of i-more.com is it has a character all it's own.
Something you don't find anywhere else. I believe that's one
of the things which makes it stand above the rest.

When it comes to the Yorkshire accent it is as diverse as the Ridings - for those new to the area Riding comes from the old word thriding meaning three and Yorkshire still has it's ancient Ridings. As too it's equally ancient accents, though much watered down in many places.

Best places to hear them are the Dales towns like Skipton especially at the auction mart. On the coast in the fishing towns and villages. There are areas in the city where it can be found. Have to share the disbelief of fellow posters about Skipton's award though. Apart from the castle what else is there that isn't in other market towns? It doesn't appear to have character. Or if it has it's hidden. I don't think there's a Market Cross or it too is well hidden. Whereas Otley has/had three.

Just an after thought - Lincolnshire also has Ridings but you don't hear of them much.
  • Posts 2838
  • Thank you received: 31

BertieWooster replied the topic: Re: Skipton High Street

Hmm, so IMOR resurrects a three-year old thread to add an irrelevant ramble, and that triggers a tweet with the thread headline. The dangers of twitter!
  • Posts 2666
  • Thank you received: 28

woza replied the topic: Re: Skipton High Street

Attachments: