Leeds Arena

• Posts 1539
  • Thank you received: 63

solarplexus created the topic: Leeds Arena

What do people make of Leeds Arena?

I went for the first time on Friday (28th March) to see Manic Street Preachers.
It looks great from the outside, the inside leaves a lot to be desired.

I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that it was built to host music - to attract "A" list acts to this part of the UK. If so, why is the sound so awful?
Turning the volume up to (Spinal Tap) 11, doesn't make for a good experience........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 174
  • Thank you received: 12

Oyster replied the topic: Leeds Arena

I'm not the world's biggest live music fan - more of a club DJ sort myself - but I'm led to believe that arenas in general tend to suffer from fairly poor acoustics due to their sheer size, in comparison with a more intimate venue.

That said, from most people I've spoken to, I hear the acoustics of Leeds Arena's theatre-esque layout is significantly better than other, more traditionally bowl-shaped arenas. Indeed, the Leeds arena was build very much with this in mind.

Some genres and volume levels may work better than others, but from what I hear, Leeds arena fairs better as an all-rounder than its rivals, smaller venues aside.

• Posts 1539
  • Thank you received: 63

solarplexus replied the topic: Leeds Arena

I'd agree that sports arenas don't have very good acoustics, which are the ones that tend to get used for big concerts, but Leeds Arena was designed & built to host concerts.

Sound is everything. The size of the place shouldn't really make much difference, when they had total control over the design & the materials used in its construction.

All they seem to have done at Leeds Arena is take half a concrete football stadium & put a metal roof on it. Then turned the volume up to deafening levels to overcome the crap acoustics.

I pity the staff, I hope they've all been issued with ear-plugs, otherwise the medical compensation lawyers will have a field day.

• Posts 115
  • Thank you received: 13

jefferson_farfan replied the topic: Leeds Arena

I went to the manics gig, loved the venue and the gig!

• Posts 204
  • Thank you received: 5

The Poor Lad replied the topic: In the days of steam ......

Sports arenas and sound: all useless with Wembley being the worst by a three-day camel ride. Saw The Boss there last June and the sound was utterly woeful...you can even hear it blowing around in the stage-side vids.

Am going to Elbow at the Arena tomorrow (first visit) and am looking forward to it mightily. Will report back.

Yeah...why not?

• Posts 204
  • Thank you received: 5

The Poor Lad replied the topic: In the days of steam ......

Best sound I've heard in a big auditorium, except when up to 11, when it was muddled. Clear definition between principal instruments...clean top and bottom ends (matron).

Elbow superb.

Yeah...why not?