Game Shooting on Ilkley Moor.

• Posts 2838
  • Thank you received: 31

BertieWooster replied the topic: Game Shooting on Ilkley Moor.

Going to decision next week. BMDC have a new report, which I think is tilting towards ending the shoot. Interestingly, it says only 10k per year is currently provided by the shoot.

councilminutes.bradford.gov.uk/wps/PA_Co...cServlet?docID=13627

Of course, that's 10K BMDC don't have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 1749
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Game Shooting on Ilkley Moor.

Sounds like switching to a permit scheme would generate more income as operated on the Foreshore. Stick ticket machines at the access points and let shooters pay, wander up to the high ground and enjoy some sport. Fishing at Fewston generates plenty of cash for YW using this model.

Or auction off corporate days...small estates can make a viable income stream from Grouse shooting, subsidising other overheads.

• Posts 2838

Shooting will be allowed for another three years, but traps will be banned.

A brilliant compromise that satisfies no one and makes the situation for the grouse far worse. Well done, Bradford MDC.

www.ilkleygazette.co.uk/news/11783396.Gr...council_chiefs_rule/

• Posts 33
  • Thank you received: 4

Lowside replied the topic: Game Shooting on Ilkley Moor.

Just because it doesn't satisfy you Bertie, it doesn't mean it satisfies no-one...or are you the sole arbiter of satisfaction around here?

• Posts 2838

No. Why the needlessly antagonistic attitude?

The decision won't satisfy the Bingley Partnership, because not being able to use traps will affect the number of grouse surviving (and lots of other birds too). It also doesn't satisfy the antis, as is shown by the fact they've already launched a new petition for a full ban. So, who does it satisfy?

• Posts 179
  • Thank you received: 16

Neo replied the topic: Game Shooting on Ilkley Moor.

Lowside.

What satisfaction do you draw from the slaughter of ground nesting birds on our moor?

What satisfaction is there to be had by a human being using a gun to kill wildlife in the name of sport?

How much satisfaction will we gain as a community by accepting the thirty pieces of silver from those with guns who choose to spend their time killing innocent animals from behind the stock of a gun?

I am ashamed to be a part of the same community that considered those who can not fight back to be fair game and I for one will hang my head in shame on behalf of the rest of the human race when I walk past the 'men' with guns on my beautiful moor.

• Posts 33

I didn't mean to be antagonistic Bertie - it just seemed a little arrogant to say that it satisfies no- one, when you can only make an assumption about that. Clearly the Council felt that a compromise was necessary. I'm not saying that this is the correct decision, but it is one in which some people will find positives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BertieWooster

• Posts 33

Neo - how on earth do you arrive at a conclusion that I take any satisfaction from 'slaughter' from my post? I may have agreed with you, but I'm thinking again now...

• Posts 179
  • Thank you received: 16

Neo replied the topic: Game Shooting on Ilkley Moor.

A reasonable conclusion based on your post of 17th February @ 19:32h. However, if that's the wrong conclusion then so be it.

• Posts 209
  • Thank you received: 14

riverwalker replied the topic: Game Shooting on Ilkley Moor.

I find it shocking that this sort of thing goes on today, at my back door, so that Bradford Council can take 30 pieces of silver.

What next in the name of "sport"

• Posts 1749
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Game Shooting on Ilkley Moor.

I enjoyed the letter in today's Gazette from Ex Councillor Howard Scaithe on this subject, in particular; regarding The Friends of Ilkley Moor's position and a bit of a dig at Owen " bracken with a small b" Wells.

and Riverwalker; Grouse shooting has long been considered a form of sport and is quite legal. Maybe opponents should try get it banned, like fox hunting or have a mass protest and withhold their council tax payments?