Hotel reviews

• Posts 1360
  • Thank you received: 42

Jasper created the topic: Hotel reviews

The Broadway Hotel, Blackpool. Is in the news so I looked it up on Tripadvisor. The reviews are quite entertaining in a perverse kkind of way but they do beg several questions:

Why don't some people who write hotel reviews take the trouble to read other peope's reviews before booking a stay?

Why do environmental health and trading standards not monitor major review sites and be proactive in taking action?

Why do internet hotel booking sites such as hotels.com not monitor reviiews provided by their clients and discontinue advertising hotels receiving extremely poor reviews?

And why do some businesses, including hotels, continue to operate in the face of overwheming evidence from customer feedback that they are disfunctional to the extent of placing their customers' lives at risk?

Whatever the answers, maybe I will give this establishment a miss in the unlikely event that I will ever stay overnight in Blackpool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 174
  • Thank you received: 12

Oyster replied the topic: Hotel reviews

Probably because Trip Advisor is not a reliable source of unbiased opinions. It's full of reviews written by the business owners themselves over-hyping their services and rival businesses looking to do down their competition. There's lots of good, genuine reviews on there, but you have to really do some digging to figure out which are which sometimes. It would be dangerous and incredibly difficult for Trading Standard or third-party brokers to take action based on these - far better to rely on direct complaints which are far more traceable and more likely to be genuine.

• Posts 1360
  • Thank you received: 42

Jasper replied the topic: Hotel reviews

I have heard that argument before, Oyster, and obviously if there are only a few postings there is a much greater need for caution. However, I use tripadvisor a lot for travel arrangements, including hotels, and have always found that if there are consistent good and / or bad aspects identified by previous travellers they are always also evidenced by my own experience.

I can only speak for myself, obviously, but travel can be costly and it would seem to me that exercising prudence by checking reviews is very much in my interest. Technology makes it possible but it is an individual decision whether to make use of it.