Windows 10

• Posts 1539
  • Thank you received: 63

solarplexus created the topic: Windows 10

I'm really nervous about installing Windows 10. I had a particularly bad experience of going from winXP to windows 7. I lost a load of favourite applications as win7 wouldn't emulate XP, (even with updated drivers etc.,) all the help files & so-called experts said they should still work, they didn't.

I'm interested to know what people think of win 10.
If you've updated from win7 to win10, what has been your experience?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 90
  • Thank you received: 5

pahardie replied the topic: Windows 10

I felt the same as you! I was hanging onto windows 7, skipped the whole 8 debacle.

But reluctantly gave in to the constant prompts to update, and you know what - it went perfectly. Very impressed with the upgrade process. It kept all my settings and apps.

I do actually like windows 10 now, the start menu is still a little 'meh' compared to the traditional windows 7 style one, and cortana in my view is 100% gimmick unless you like talking to your laptop, but other than that I think win10 is pretty speedy and has been solid so far.

Not that it matters but I upgrade from 7 to 10 on a decent dell laptop and had no issues!

Go for it I say

(edit: you can actually roll back to win7 within the first 30 days should win10 not float your boat)

• Posts 133
  • Thank you received: 18

Domski replied the topic: Windows 10

I upgraded my 4 year old Dell laptop and it works much better than it did with Windows 7 so I'm happy I did it.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch...

• Posts 775
  • Thank you received: 14

Zeli replied the topic: Windows 10

I've reserved Windows 10 but haven't installed it yet. I have Windows 7 on my laptop and, in general, it's fine. However, I find the Word prog unnecessarily complicated. After all this time I still don't understand it, but maybe it's me. From time to time I need to write documents several pages long, and then I often edit them by moving paragraphs around etc. Sometimes I need to set tabs. That's what word processing is all about. Windows 7 Word makes this a right pain, and I find it difficult to do even the most basic of editing, so I prefer to use the Word prog on XP on my old desktop! It's straightforward; no bells and whistles.

What's the Word prog like on Windows 10?

• Posts 1749
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Windows 10

It was a bad experience for me, it disabled my wireless card, I triedloadsof fixes but eventually gave up and reversed back to the virus that is windows 8

• Posts 133

Zeli wrote: What's the Word prog like on Windows 10?

Do you mean the basic Wordpad application that comes bundled with Windows as opposed to Word within MS Office?

Dom

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch...

• Posts 775

I think I mean the Office one. I'm no techy!

• Posts 17
  • Thank you received: 0

reddleman replied the topic: Windows 10

Glad that I abandoned Microsoft five years ago and took the decision to change to the Ubuntu Linux operating system and LibreOffice to replace Excel and Word. Free regular upgrades keeps the laptop 'cutting edge', and combined with Firefox web browser, I have no problems with compatibility and security.

• Posts 133

If it's MS Office you shouldn't notice any major difference moving from Win 7 to Win 10 with the way the office applications work.

• Posts 775

Thanks for that, Domski. As I've said, I don't like the Word that comes with Windows 7, but at least the new one won't be worse!

• Posts 1539

solarplexus replied the topic: Windows 10

Zeli wrote: As I've said, I don't like the Word that comes with Windows 7, but at least the new one won't be worse!

As an alternative try OpenOffice "Writer" that comes as part of OpenOffice

• Posts 179
  • Thank you received: 16

Neo replied the topic: Windows 10

Without wanting to sound like a fan-boy, you might like to take a look at a Mac. An operating system built on Unix, not MSDOS (MS Dross!). Mac's just work, but more expensive that a PC. If you've got other Apple devices such as iPad/Phone then they interoperate very well.

• Posts 36
  • Thank you received: 10

Ozbeck replied the topic: Windows 10

I have just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and it went without a problem.

10 doesn't seem that must different in terms of use (unless you require all the fancy programs, which I don't), so what I see on screen is virtually same as before. It has stopped a quirky message popping up every time I logged on and I think that my battery life on the laptop is greater.

Make sure you are plugged into mains before starting because it takes about 3-4 hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zeli

• Posts 1539

solarplexus replied the topic: Windows 10

Bought a laptop back in August. That had 8.1 on it, had a play around with it, just to get a feel of the OS. Decided to upgrade to Win 10. I wouldn't say it was straightforward, it took bleedin' ages - the download failed twice.

When it finally did install, it wouldn't allow me to just log-in to the machine, I had to set up an online account with Microsoft. My network/broadband usage shot up, it was then I realised that everyone of the tiles that it had pre-installed were live (there are lots of them), plus a load of other apps were running in the background.

I'm now in the process of uninstalling them, if that fails then I just disable them. I've over-ridden the defaults for files - it wants me to take out a paid subscription to Microsoft Office 365 - no thanks, Open Office works just fine.

Now I'm looking for a way of having a standard log-in, one that doesn't force me to be part of Microsoft's world. Anybody got a way of doing it?

As for my main PC, I'll be sticking to win 7.

• Posts 73
  • Thank you received: 10

ilkleyswingers replied the topic: Windows 10

I just upgraded to windows 10 won't let me access a single web page, back to 8.1 for me