Pavement Cyclists

• Posts 2461
  • Thank you received: 5

Elvis_Himselvis created the topic: Pavement Cyclists

I notice there seem to be a lot of people cycling on the pavement around Ilkley, not just kids who may not know better but adults too. Twice yesterday cyclists passed me at speed from behind whilst I was walking on the pavement, no sound of approach or warning, they were just desperate to avoid having to stop at lights or junctions like other road users.

I have taken to looking over my shoulder before changing speed or direction as I walk through the town.

A little less conversation, a little more action

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 3
  • Thank you received: 0

MrStrange replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

It was when I lived in Ilkley that I gave up cycling - not just because I am a slob but because of one particular event with an octagenarian in a Mini vs me on a bike. I was the one in front trying to get her to overtake but she didn't have the confidence and I didn't have the confidence to ride a bike in front of her. After getting home that day, I hardly used my bike after.

Lumps of metal sometimes weighing several tons, sometimes traveling at outrageous speeds do not belong on the same roads as bicycles that is inalienable common sense.

My view is that responsibly riding a bicycle on the footpath at the same speed as perhaps a jogger is harmless - either that or force people "running on the pavements" onto the roads to see the madness of the law, which I hear rumoured also prohibits prams from pavements. Though we do not see any enforcement of the law on that score.

• Posts 1749
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

Its a war zone out there.
Time to fight back and do a little hearts and minds stuff too. I try and educate em, but there is an arrogance that goes hand in hand with the lycra, unpaid advertising and testosterone fuelled anger.

The tour was a bad thing, although this pedalling thing might appear healthy and whlesome, a lot of downright rudeness has followed in it's wake.

• Posts 4
  • Thank you received: 1

lats replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

mcnab wrote: Its a war zone out there.
Time to fight back and do a little hearts and minds stuff too. I try and educate em, but there is an arrogance that goes hand in hand with the lycra, unpaid advertising and testosterone fuelled anger.

The tour was a bad thing, although this pedalling thing might appear healthy and whlesome, a lot of downright rudeness has followed in it's wake.

It's only a war zone out there if you want it to be.

Cycling is like any other thing that people do on the roads. There are idiots and there are decent people. Same with car drivers, horse riders, pedestrians etc.

I'm a 'keen cyclist' and I very get annoyed when I see cyclists on the pavement, jumping red lights etc. as I feel they are giving 'us' a bad name, so please don't tar us all with the same brush.

We're all entitled to use the roads and should all exercise some thoughtfulness for out fellow road users whatever we're driving/riding.

ps I don't do lycra or free advertising :-)

• Posts 1749
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

Then you could be an ambassador lats!

No pavements where I live, but lots of narrow country roads and work doesn't stop at weekends. We have to use cars, vans and 4x4 to get about and the journeys are longer now as we get stuck behind squads of, or sometimes just one or two cyclists that are going at speeds that are pretty fast for cyclists and using all the road so passing isn't safe. They say some are racing against themselves and each other by virtue of the GPS Pps. When they come at you, sometimes it's an arrow formation, I am courteous and safe, but when some child with parent rides up to within feet of your bonnet, square in the middle, then darts off to pass you to one side, it appears this is a technique designed to force you to stop and it is so prevalent, I think it is a tactic shared. And there is irritation displayed when ones presence slows the cyclists down, it just seems that they feel they have superior rights, not equal ones. Two deaths up here this year, lots more injured, lots more fuel used chugging along in third gear, lots of irritated locals, no particular upsurge in profits at the tea rooms, lycra man lives on energy drink and granola bar..

Bring back tweed and wide Carradice twill saddlebags and panniers, bells, Sturmey Archer dynamos and more sedate cyclists, it's not a race track out there.

• Posts 2838
  • Thank you received: 31

BertieWooster replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

Wait for the spread of handle-less segways. passed by three or four people in Manchester on them (like sideways motorised skateboards) last week. Silent. Saw a pensioner jump out of her skin when one crept up on her.

I'm lucky I'm a large bloke and people tend to bounce off.

• Posts 204
  • Thank you received: 5

The Poor Lad replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

Cyclists shouldn't ride on the pavement.

As for the road-dwelling ones, I find most to be considerate when solo, less so when in a group, although they have as much right to enjoy their sport as non-cyclists have to drive themselves around. As usual, it's the willingness to peacefully coexist that's often lacking.

As for scary stories, the MAMIL that overtook TWO cars (I was in the rearmost one) going DOWN from the Cow & Calf made me sweat a bit...I thought I was going quite fast enough, thank you, but he was out of the saddle and sprinting in a big gear!

Segues: try this if you dare www.romebysegway.com/site/

Yeah...why not?

• Posts 133
  • Thank you received: 18

Domski replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

mcnab wrote: Its a war zone out there.

It really shouldn't be though. The main reason cyclists feel compelled to ride on pavements is that some people in cars don't give them enough room to feel safe on the roads.

I was riding behind a bloke heading towards Ilkley the other Saturday and we caught up with another cyclist. The gent in front signalled to pull out and then proceeded to overtake but in the meantime the arsehole in the black fiesta behind felt he couldn't wait and overtook both bikes on a bend giving them little or no room at all and nearly colliding with a truck coming the other way. If anything had happened it would more than likely have been the cyclists who came off worst. As usual the traffic was queuing into Ilkley and we passed him soon after so it gained him nothing other than to look an idiot and endanger people.

For every time you think you've seen a cyclist putting someone in any real danger I can guarantee the shoe is on the other foot on numerous other occasions.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch...

• Posts 209
  • Thank you received: 14

riverwalker replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

In my youth, when I was learning to cycle (and the cycle had one large wheel and a small one) my father always taught me that we should ride - single file.

I do not know about the black fiesta other examples, but a car averages 30 MPH, a cycle would be 8-24 MPH. So its reasonable to assume that a car will overtake.

Large clusters of bicycles do irritate me - as they group together, 3-4 width blocking the carriageway. To me, single file is sensible and defuses tension or impatience.

Unfortunately the pecking order is - HGV (big truck), car, motorbike, bicycle, pedestrian.

And - what annoys me - is walking across the Moors, using the footpath - having to get out of the way for numerous bicycles that have opted to go off-road, but not totally.

• Posts 174
  • Thank you received: 12

Oyster replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

riverwalker wrote: Large clusters of bicycles do irritate me - as they group together, 3-4 width blocking the carriageway. To me, single file is sensible and defuses tension or impatience.

I also used to take this attitude towards cyclists until somebody explained the thought process behind riding 2 / 3 / 4 abreast in the road. It turns out they might not just be doing it out of arrogance or to annoy, but actually it encourages drivers to overtake in a similar way that they would another car, i.e. slow down and sit behind the vehicle until there's nothing coming in the other direction and it's safe to overtake. It's also a shorter distance travel to get past the hazard. If you ride in single file, cars will fly past you on blind bends and think nothing of doing so as a car passes in the other direction.

I'm a driver as well as a cyclists and have my Jekyll and Hyde moments depending on which I am at the time, but I can see the above logic if I'm honest.

As for cycling on the pavements, I'm fairly ambivalent towards it - sometimes it can be safe, appropriate, even necessary and sometimes it can be dangerous and unfair. Cycling provision in this country is so poor that I can understand why some people do it in some areas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Domski

• Posts 133
  • Thank you received: 18

Domski replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

riverwalker wrote: Unfortunately the pecking order is - HGV (big truck), car, motorbike, bicycle, pedestrian.

Seriously?

Maybe you'd like to tell that to the family of the next pedestrian or cyclist that is killed in the area because they got in the way of somebody higher up the 'pecking order'.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch...

• Posts 89
  • Thank you received: 8

BurleyBorn replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

Seriously?

I think he is trying to show a table of vulnerability.

One day your the dog, the next day your the lamp post.

• Posts 72
  • Thank you received: 2

mc13 replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

Oysters comments on bunched groups or single file struck a chord with me.
I cycled a lot in the early '60s and drove HGVs in the late '60s when air-brakes were less common than today. Hence one had to think much further ahead in those days. Both cycling and driving up against the curb would just encourage impatient or drivers with brain on"auto-pilot" to barge past irrespective of the room available.
Other topic: bikes on the moors. Why don't cyclists have and make use of a bell/warning device or even learn to shout as they approach peds on pavements or narrow paths ??

• Posts 179
  • Thank you received: 16

Neo replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

Its been a few years since I was last on my mountain bike, but from memory bikes shouldn't be on most areas of the moor. They are generally aloud to use bridal ways, but I am sure I recall that they are OK on much of the Chevin, but not the moors. I may have that wrong, but I'm fairly sure thats correct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasper

• Posts 1539
  • Thank you received: 63

solarplexus replied the topic: Pavement Cyclists

BertieWooster wrote: Wait for the spread of handle-less segways. passed by three or four people in Manchester on them (like sideways motorised skateboards) last week. Silent. Saw a pensioner jump out of her skin when one crept up on her.

'Hoverboards' are illegal on both pavements and roads, CPS confirms
They're going to get even more popular now!