Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Making Bradford British

Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 21:34 #40930

• mcnab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 26
Anyone watching this TV program? A bunch of people from various places around the district including Ilkley, thrown together to see if they can get along and work it out.

S
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 21:45 #40931

• woza
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received 25
I'm gonna watch this on catch up. I heard about it a few months ago as one of the people taking part is a customer of mine and she was telling me all about it. I got the impression her eyes were opened to a world she never knew existed! I think living in Ilkley gives you rose tinted glasses sometimes.

Will hold off on any comments until I've watched it. Unless you tell me it's crap Mcnab and I'll spend an hour of my life on something more constructive.

Re: Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 22:19 #40934

• banjaxxxed
  • Fresh Boarder
I would hope it doesn't inevitably portray us all as being so Britishly smug? But that seems to be the only thing we are good at these days, so. .

Re: Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 23:01 #40938

• Jasper
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 18
I watched some of it (as much as I could bear); seemed utterly pointless to me, rather like snooping on the inside of a lunatic asylum and about as relevant.

Re: Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 23:08 #40940

• mcnab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 26
TV always choose candidates for maximum impact, they have an eclectic mix here and it makes for good television but doesn't really represent society.

I was amused the Freudian slip "inflocks" by the 71 yo retired Cop.

Re: Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 23:11 #40941

• banjaxxxed
  • Fresh Boarder
Jasper wrote:
I watched some of it (as much as I could bear); seemed utterly pointless to me, rather like snooping on the inside of a lunatic asylum and about as relevant.[/quot

May I ask what gives you the right to make an off-the-cuff comment such as that?

Maybe "lunatic asylum" wasn't an appropriate choice of words?
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2012 23:12 by banjaxxxed.

Re: Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 23:16 #40942

• mcnab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 26
did you watch it Banned-Jax?

Re: Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 23:19 #40943

• banjaxxxed
  • Fresh Boarder
No. I shall.

Re: Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 23:29 #40945

• mcnab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 26
The British citizen test is a joke. stupid questions like 'complete this phrase: "I keep my ****in the sideboard here, you'll get no beer if you come round here"

Re: Making Bradford British 01 Mar 2012 23:46 #40946

• banjaxxxed
  • Fresh Boarder
And what would you prefer?

I wholeheartedly agree - I took the online citizenship test and failed. And I'm only half-Irish.

So the alternative is?

Re: Making Bradford British 02 Mar 2012 10:05 #40951

• Jasper
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 18
Jasper wrote:
I watched some of it (as much as I could bear); seemed utterly pointless to me, rather like snooping on the inside of a lunatic asylum and about as relevant.
banjaxxxed wrote:
May I ask what gives you the right to make an off-the-cuff comment such as that?

yes, of course you can ask.

Such institutions, also known as 'bedlam' used to exist. The conversations between their residents would often have been far more coherent than the ramblings aired on this stupid programme.
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2012 16:12 by woza.

Re: Making Bradford British 02 Mar 2012 10:16 #40952

• banjaxxxed
  • Fresh Boarder
Jasper wrote:
banjaxxxed wrote:

Tes, of course you can ask.

Jasper wrote:
Such institutions, also known as 'bedlam' used to exist. The conversations between their residents would often have been far more coherent than the ramblings aired on this stupid programme.

Sorry, don't understand the ramblings or the point being made here?

I've since watched the programme. It was, as you say, fairly pointless. More so, I doubt that it actually gave any of it's watchers any pause for thought. Merely an attempt at making the question, "How racist are we?" a legitimate one. Although I did quite like the landlady - she spoke some common sense - something which we are definitely lacking in this country.

As for Jasper's inane comment - I am fully aware of the existence of such places. Sometimes, in years gone by, the people who were placed in such institutions merely required a little bit more medical attention than was bountifully offered by our doctors and nurses.

I know of one case in particular, not in the locality, where a young lady was placed in an institution, because she had conceived a child out of wedlock. She remained there until she was in her 90's - her family just chose to forget about her, so yes, I do have an objection to the use of the phrase "lunatic asylum." It denotes a callousness of thinking in terms of one's approach to other members of our society.
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2012 16:12 by woza.

Re: Making Bradford British 02 Mar 2012 14:49 #40963

• Jasper
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 18
banjaxxxed wrote:
As for Jasper's inane comment - I am fully aware of the existence of such places. Sometimes, in years gone by, the people who were placed in such institutions merely required a little bit more medical attention than was bountifully offered by our doctors and nurses.

I know of one case in particular, not in the locality, where a young lady was placed in an institution, because she had conceived a child out of wedlock. She remained there until she was in her 90's - her family just chose to forget about her,

Yes, I quite agree. If you look back in the forum posts there are many highly informative threads about the history of High Royds in Menton, so we are agreed both that such institutions existed and that much ill-treatment and inapproriate treatment occurred inside them.

so yes, I do have an objection to the use of the phrase "lunatic asylum." It denotes a callousness of thinking in terms of one's approach to other members of our society.

I see no point in denying history and reiterate my point that the conversations of many of the residents of such instittions, when they once existed, would have been far more coherent, sensible and intelligibe than the discourse I listened to last night on that ridiculous programme.
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2012 18:40 by Jasper.

Re: Making Bradford British 02 Mar 2012 17:54 #40967

• mcnab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 26
What chance is there of any useful debate on these issues when someone even complains about the use of the term 'lunatic asylum'?

Seems there is an agenda to cut off all avenues of argument by limiting the vocabulary that is allowed to be used.

Re: Making Bradford British 03 Mar 2012 15:06 #40978

• banjaxxxed
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe you just ought to choose your words more carefully - then we can have a meaningful debate.

Me myself I reckon that your terminology denotes a supercilious attitude. You might think yourself to be better than those who took part in the program, but you don't have to say it, do you?
Last Edit: 03 Mar 2012 15:33 by banjaxxxed.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds