Parish Council Precept

• Posts 71
  • Thank you received: 8

itsafaircopgov created the topic: Parish Council Precept

Just read in the Likely Gusset that the Parish Council intends to increase the precept by 22% for the next financial year.If memory serves me right they increased their precept by 20% two years ago and 2% last year. I know that my maths isn't great, but doesn't that mean a 44% increase in just 3 years and well above the rate of inflation. They say that it is to pay for 'Le Tour' coming through the town. Bradford Council are already giving 'loadsamoney' to the event so why do the Parish Council need to give even more. This rise is just an exercise in self aggrandisement by the council and an unnecessary burden on poorer families.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 1749
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

Did they discuss it with the public excluded from the meeting again?

• Posts 115
  • Thank you received: 13

jefferson_farfan replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

All that money for a few poxy bicycles, what a con
The following user(s) said Thank You: snoozedoggydog2

• Posts 90
  • Thank you received: 5

pahardie replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

this may not be the right thread to comment on but I received the local list of councilors in Ilkley a few weeks back. But only recently read it!

Forgive my ignorance but are the parish councilors elected? if not how do they get their roles. also are they all paid? full time?

The requirement of a councilor for 'christmas lights' just as an example seems a little over kill and fairly seasonal! I am assuming they have other duties too!! :)

No real agenda from me - just with the precept rising (seemingly quite rapidly) it is interesting what / who we are paying for and how they got there.

• Posts 111
  • Thank you received: 0

rufus replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

I will refuse to pay !!!!!!!

• Posts 2838
  • Thank you received: 31

BertieWooster replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

@pahardie:

Yes, they're elected. No, they're not paid (though they get expenses). The 'councillor for lights' is, of course, the gentleman now residing in Mayfair who organized, half paid for and put up the new lights a couple of years ago.

@rufus: sure you're welcome to refuse, but it will be treated as if you're not paying your council tax, it's the same legislation
The following user(s) said Thank You: pahardie

• Posts 1749
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

Correct Bertie; Pay up and shut up, or else the council will print out a summons which doesn't get issued by a court like normal summons, just printed out by the council tax bods and then if you want to have your day in court, you will find a council official sat in a room hired from the court on the appointed day that you and the other thousand defendants have been allocated, by now a handful of defendants will have turned up to defend their case and the council official will fob each one off with threats and there will not be a judge in sight. Promises might be made to look into your case, but a summary judgement against you will be issued the following day anyway and now you have to pay your bill in full immediately.....If you still don't pay, then the Bailiffs start calling you and writing threatening letters, eventually they climb over your gate, clamp your car and scare your cat.

and all because you objected to paying £22 so a few dignitaries could watch some bikes pass by and lord it over you for day! Get a grip! imagine what this is going to do for the area! When the Olympic caravan passed through Ilkley, the local economy picked up massively! This cycling thing is the icing on the cake for Ilkley!

• Posts 90
  • Thank you received: 5

pahardie replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

Thanks Bertie! I was not aware of any of that!

Am looking forward to it all to be honest, I think it will be a great spectacle and if its half as well attended as the olympic torch relay (probably even better attended) it will be great for the area.

• Posts 71

itsafaircopgov replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

Not all the Parish Council are elected some of them are co-opted onto the council...ie they are mates of the councillors. They are all tories anyway....even though that doesn't give a true reflection of the electoral make up of the town. Its a real 'old boys and girls club' full of people who to say the least are out of touch.

A couple of years ago the held a secret meeting and put up the precept by 20% so that the whatever Queens jubilee could be celebrated in style i.e.a few nice little parties for the councillors.

For Tories they are shockingly profligate...£40000 spent on lighting the trees and more recently over £2000 for a sign saying 'Welcome to Ilkley'. Few people in the town really benefit from what they do and they only seem to to do things that will bring plaudits on themselves.

If this was the Bradford District Council asking for a 22% rise they would have to have a referendum but this lot get away with such a rise because the legislation doesn't apply to parish councils. I presume that next year they will find some other excuse to put up the precept...maybe to celebrate Mike Gibbons (Chair of the council) birthday

• Posts 2838

Who's been 'co-opted' onto Ilkley council? Not aware of anyone.

The real tragedy is that, at the last election, only one ward was contested. All the rest were uncontested. So while it might not 'give a true reflection of the electoral make-up of the town' (whatever that might be), if no other parties, and no independents, stand, there's no real complaint to be made about the whole council being Tory.

There wasn't a 'secret' meeting to raise the precept for the jubilee--but it was held in camera, which was less than helpful. However, the notion that only councillors benefited from the jubilee is clearly nonsense, as is the idea that no residents of Ilkley benefit from the new lights. Most of the discussion on here has been highly positive.

And there would be a big difference between Bradford asking for a 22% rise (around £290 on a Band D property) and the local parish (about £5). Not that I'm in favour, but let's be a little realistic here.

• Posts 71

itsafaircopgov replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

The three co-optee councillors are Gordon Perry, Adam Bowles and Bryan Websdale none of whom troubled the electors of the town.Given the cloak of mystery and secrecy surrounding the Parish Council it is hardly surprising that BertieW hasn't heard of them,as their appointments were made without any fanfares.

BertieW is right to highlight the point that the other political parties failed to provide any opposition at the last election. Although, from memory the Labour Party boycotted the election because of alleged gerrymandering of the ward boundaries. I hope the next time there are elections there will be alternatives to the Tories. Indeed, I am so fed up with them that I am thinking of standing myself.

There are no elections to the Parish Council until 2015 so I presume that the current council think that the electorate will have forgotten about the huge percentage tax rises that they have presided over. Nevertheless, someone really needs to provide an alternative voice on this Tory dominated council

• Posts 2838

Thanks, that's very helpful. Same issue though--people are only co-opted if there's a vacancy because no-one stands.

• Posts 2838

Have blogged on this.

• Posts 111
  • Thank you received: 0

rufus replied the topic: Parish Council Precept

Good To see Kris Hopkins is talking sense on this subject.....