Sewage in River Wharfe

• Posts 1539
  • Thank you received: 63

solarplexus created the topic: Sewage in River Wharfe

Report warns of sewage in the River Wharfe at Ilkley - story in IG on 16th Feb.

"Stringent controls on sewage in the Wharfe at Ilkley are being called for amid warnings not to use the river.

Ilkley Angling Association has been monitoring pollution since early 2016 and says the town is facing another year of raw sewage being discharged into the river. Both Yorkshire Water and the Environment Agency (EA) strongly deny there is an on-going problem.

In their report Kathleen Roberts and Stephen Fairbourn from the association say: "It is our belief that the permit for the works should be revised and new and more stringent limits set for discharges. The frequency and nature of the current discharges indicates that the permit is not fit for purpose."

I'm wondering if my dog has succumbed to this pollution. We went down to the River at Greenholme Weir on Saturday afternoon. My dog loves going into the water - if he could drink it all I think he would! Problem was early Sunday morning he had a very bad case of the runs. Not a happy dog, not a happy owner for that matter.
The only thing different from what we normally do i.e. same food, same treats etc - was him going into the River Wharfe.
Coincidence or something else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 133
  • Thank you received: 18

Domski replied the topic: Sewage in River Wharfe

The only way you'll know with any certainty is to test the water. Dogs can be pretty revolting what they choose to ingest (if they're anything like ones I've had experience of) so it's really difficult to pin down what has given them a funny tummy a lot of the time.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch...

• Posts 1539
  • Thank you received: 63

solarplexus replied the topic: Sewage in River Wharfe

You're right, he's always ingested some pretty weird & revolting stuff - but he doesn't get the runs from it. Hence why I'm puzzled he should succumb so badly to something now.

• Posts 1749
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Sewage in River Wharfe

Well as any county bumpkin will tell you, the farmers are putting muck on the land and a lot of that washes into the watercourses. Then there are the drains in the roads and from rainwater drains generally, lots of pollution gets mixed in and is directed into the river.

The rivers are cleaner than they have been for a century, because we have so many rules and regulations. Salmon were returning but then idiot conservationists released Otters and Mink escaped from fur farms so that is the reason for a decline in fish stocks.

I'm surprised, a tour with school of the sewage works always ended up with the manager drinking the water from the outflow. Granted he had boobs from the effect of the contraceptive pill in the effluent and foamed at the mouth from the soap suds, but he never complained of a dicky stomach.

Dogs are banned from swimming in Grimwith Reservoir, it pollutes the water. Just saying....

• Posts 209
  • Thank you received: 14

riverwalker replied the topic: Sewage in River Wharfe

there is a solution
Attachments: