100th anniversary of the ending of World War 1 - Burley Exhibition

• Posts 1669
  • Thank you received: 64

solarplexus created the topic: 100th anniversary of the ending of World War 1 - Burley Exhibition

Burley Local History Group (BLHG) have been tasked with putting together an exhibition for the 100th anniversary of the ending of World War 1.

They need contributions & assistance in putting this exhibition together - can anyone help?

Looking to find answers to a number of questions, such as:
a) A local woman is compiling a booklet about the names on Burley's war memorial (who they are, their families, work etc.), plus the other memorials dotted around the place. This booklet will be sold in aid of the poppy appeal.

She is also trying to find the names of Burley men that died in the conflict that may appear on other war memorials in other parts of the country. Plus the names of men, whose families chose not to have them listed anywhere.

b) What changes took place at Greenholme Mills?
- Understand that many of the men of fighting age were called up, who took their places in the workforce & where did they come from?
- Understand that the production was converted to producing material for the war. Apart from uniform material, what else did they produce?

c) Impact of the war on the local population?

Burley Business Directory - Stead, Burley Woodhead & Burley in Wharfedale.
Burley in Wharfedale Venue Map

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 1792
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: 100th anniversary of the ending of World War 1 - Burley Exhibition

I did a lot of research on the war memorial WW1 names some years ago. Some fascinating stories. I'd have to trawl through some old hard drives to find it. I have a vague recollection of a mystery man, joined up in Wales but died in Burley so appeared on the monument.....could have that wrong...

• Posts 1669

solarplexus replied the topic: 100th anniversary of the ending of World War 1 - Burley Exhibition

mcnab wrote: I did a lot of research on the war memorial WW1 names some years ago. Some fascinating stories. I'd have to trawl through some old hard drives to find it.

Would you be willing to share your research of the WW1 memorial?

• Posts 1792
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: 100th anniversary of the ending of World War 1 - Burley Exhibition

solarplexus wrote:

mcnab wrote: I did a lot of research on the war memorial WW1 names some years ago. Some fascinating stories. I'd have to trawl through some old hard drives to find it.

Would you be willing to share your research of the WW1 memorial?

Yeah if I can find it.

• Posts 1669

solarplexus replied the topic: 100th anniversary of the ending of World War 1 - Burley Exhibition

There's a planning meeting for the exhibition this Friday 5th October at 2.00pm in the Burley Archive Room (Access it via Burley library).