Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ilkley Maps Website

Ilkley Maps Website 20 Feb 2013 12:42 #43309

• kevmck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received 3
Please forgive the shameless self-promotion but can I draw your attention to a new community website ilkleymaps.co.uk which is a 'not-for-profit' project designed for the benefit of visitors and the residents of Ilkley alike. The intention is to show off the best of Ilkley in a series of digital, interactive mapping applications.

Current maps include;
A Food and Drink map
A tour of the Blue Plaque sites
A Swipe map comparing road maps with satellite imagery
An Historical Swipe map comparing present day road map with 100yrs old map
A Map showing historical photos of Ilkley which have been geotagged
and several others ..... plus some other planned maps. I am also garnering suggestions for additional themed maps.

I know some users on here have enquired in the past about historic maps to check out old rights of way across the moor so this might be of interest to them. I would also encourage people to check out the old photos map and see if they agree with my locations. I am also very keen to add more photos to this map, to create a central resource for the town, so would be extremely grateful to get hold of additional old images if anyone knows of any.

Please take a look when you get a chance. Feedback would be appreciated.
Many Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ilkley Maps Website 20 Feb 2013 20:10 #43311

• mcnab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 26
Great concept! I like your site a lot and think you could add maps for local businesses, ancient antiquities, Ley lines etc.

Feedback; The historical map is displaying an area to the east of the modern one, so a comparison between the two isn't easy.

Interesting that you have used an old Bartholomew map, I like them, but sometimes they lack detail, for instance some old properties in Denton appear to be missing that I am sure would have been there at the turn of the last century i.e Church Row. Is this map used rather than an OS one because of OS copyright issues?

Good job!

Ilkley Maps Website 21 Feb 2013 10:12 #43313

• kevmck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received 3
Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of a Ley-lines map. Certainly not one that I'd considered. Any idea where I would get hold of the data?

I used the Bartholomew map because that was the oldest (map service) that I could access and I figured would provide the greatest contrast with a map of today. However, as you say, the resolution of the Bartholomew map is not great which also means the geo-referencing is slightly off. Take a look at New Brook Street which seems to have been quickly hand-drawn shortly after the new bridge was constructed!

You might want to try panning and/or zooming one of the maps and you will notice the other map will 'follow' as they are synchronised.

I am trying to sort out copyright issues and organise access to some OS maps for three different periods (~1920s, ~1940s and ~1950s) all at different scales. I intend to display these maps side-by-side for a different type of display. The current Bartholomew map is essentially displayed underneath the modern day map and is 'revealed' by moving the swipe bar from side to side.

I'll let you know when the OS Maps are available.
Thanks again.

Ilkley Maps Website 21 Feb 2013 11:15 #43314

• BertieWooster
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 14
Aren't there also older field maps.

One thing I looked at doing years ago was to take shots of Ilkley as it currently is and 'swipe' (not sure the tech was easy then!) to the same view in the Victorian era and in the 50s and 70s. It's actually the 20th century we seems to be worst at. Looking down The Grove, from Wells House, down Brook Street, etc. Showing the changes to buildings and even shop fronts. Oh and the car park of course--ex-home of a farm and a cinema.

I'd really love someone to go through the old Ilkley Gazettes and actually track the changes in shop usage in all those Victorian retail units in town. Sweet INdulgence having once been an undertakers, etc

Ilkley Maps Website 21 Feb 2013 14:38 #43315

• kevmck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received 3
That would be a fabulous project Bertie, but sadly not one that I have time to get involved with at the moment. I suspect keeping the maps site up to date will occupy most of my spare time!

Do I take it from your reply that you do have lots of old photos of Ilkley, or was it something you never got round to doing? If the former, would you be prepared to have them added to my old photos map?

As far as old maps go, you are right in that there are older maps in existence but for my website I needed to access a 'web mapping service' where someone has taken all those maps, chopped them into tiles at various resolutions and served them up as a cached map tile service .....all a bit geeky I realise! Somebody has done that for the Bartholomew Map which was why I used it.

By the way I will never be able to go into Sweet Indulgence again without thinking about corpses laid out in the corner. Then again, the next time my son tries to drag me in there to buy sweets.....

Ilkley Maps Website 21 Feb 2013 14:40 #43316

• solarplexus
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received 20
I too like the idea, I can see that a lot of time & effort has gone into it.

There are all manner of things that could be added. Hopefully one might get to a point where one could peel back the layers of Ilkley & district's history. i.e. show how its developed, changed etc.
The Civil Parishes map:
To make it more interesting perhaps show the changes that there have been in the last 100 years. Administrative boundaries have changed, in places sometimes quite radically - Otley Parish, Burley District, Ilkley Urban District Council, Bradford MDC etc.
Mapping Antiquities:
Have you contacted English Heritage's aerial mapping & survey unit to see if you can use their geo-location info?

Lower Wharfedale National Mapping Programme
Lower Wharfedale Summary Report 2004 / 2009
Contacts: Yorkshire & Humber

On the same theme - I was under the impression that a survey of Ilkley Moor was being undertaken to geo-locate the various bits of rock art - anyone know who was doing the survey?
I have a problem with the menu item "List of Maps" - the "Coming Soon" submenu item list disappears off the edge of the screen - the scroll bars don't work as I think they're meant to.
Burley Business Directory - Stead, Burley Woodhead & Burley in Wharfedale.
Burley Summer Festival Venue Map

Ilkley Maps Website 21 Feb 2013 20:09 #43317

• Jasper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 18
Great idea & welcome to the forum, kevmck. On the eating & restaurant map have you missed the hotel restaurants, eg. Craiglands, Rombalds, Dalesway?

Ilkley Maps Website 22 Feb 2013 17:46 #43321

• BertieWooster
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 14
Yes, have a huge CD's worth of old postcards of the area, courtesy of Mr Irwin. Think McNab has the same one. Not sure how to share it, it's too big to upload

Ilkley Maps Website 22 Feb 2013 20:44 #43322

• mcnab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received 26
BertieWooster wrote:
Yes, have a huge CD's worth of old postcards of the area, courtesy of Mr Irwin. Think McNab has the same one. Not sure how to share it, it's too big to upload

Nope, I tend to find interesting pictures on Ebay and cut and paste them here. So many of the usual ones are out there on the net, it seems pointless to save them.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 22 Feb 2013 20:53 by mcnab.

Ilkley Maps Website 23 Feb 2013 15:51 #43328

• kevmck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received 3
Jasper wrote:
Great idea & welcome to the forum, kevmck. On the eating & restaurant map have you missed the hotel restaurants, eg. Craiglands, Rombalds, Dalesway?

Thanks Jasper. There are a few of the establishments that could be entered in multiple categories eg. Bar and Restaurant, such as Bar t'at.

I have tried contacting all the owners/managers by email so that they can send me more details but have had a poor response from all but a few places. Looks like I'll have to get out and visit them in person. I can think of worse ways to spend my time! Having said that if anyone on the forum represents any of the cafes/bars/restaurants/takeaways please get in touch with updated details.

By the way Jasper, The Rombalds is in the restaurant section and Brasserie One (Craiglands) is also there. You might need to zoom out or pan the map a little bit. Only the locations that appear on the map will be shown in the left hand column. So if you were to zoom right in to one location all the others would disappear from the left hand side .... hope that makes sense!

Ilkley Maps Website 26 Feb 2013 17:18 #43333

• solarplexus
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received 20
Received an interesting newsletter "Film Fever with the National Trust" with a link to their "Movie Map".

Would it be possible to do something similar with one of your maps - showing locations where films, TV serials or even music videos have been filmed in and around Ilkley & district?

Ilkley Maps Website 28 Feb 2013 09:31 #43347

• kevmck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received 3
solarplexus wrote:
Received an interesting newsletter "Film Fever with the National Trust" with a link to their "Movie Map".

Would it be possible to do something similar with one of your maps - showing locations where films, TV serials or even music videos have been filmed in and around Ilkley & district?
Another great idea, and yes it is possible. I can even insert a video clip at each location. The question is, where do I get the data from? I know that 'A Private Function' was part filmed in Ben Rhydding (although I'm not sure where) and I also know that 'The Water Babies' was filmed in the area. I'm sure that lots of local TV series have filmed in the area too .... there was filming going on up at the Cow and Calf just before Christmas. However I haven't been able to find a database of these events, and thats what I require to make my maps.

You-Tube has a facility for geo-tagging videos when they are submitted and I can 'scour' their site for local videos. In fact I did this and came up with about 40 videos but they were along the lines of 'Sausage making at Lishmans' and various climbing vids up at the rocks. Not that interesting (a bit rich coming from someone who has just made a map of postcodes!).

I guess what I need is for people to submit video clips from films and TV programmes onto you-tube and to make sure they use the geo-tag facility if they know exactly where the clip was filmed.

I'll start doing this myself whenever I come across any but it could take a long time.

Ilkley Maps Website 05 Mar 2013 15:13 #43382

• kevmck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received 3
mcnab wrote:
Great concept! I like your site a lot and think you could add maps for local businesses, ancient antiquities, Ley lines etc.
No Ley Lines, but I have added a map showing Ancient Sites, Stone Circles and Rock Art to the site.

Seems like you can create a Ley Line through just about any three ancient sites in the country and intersect your area of interest!

Hope this latest map doesn't inadvertently lead to any additions to the 'Ruined Rock Art' thread in the long run :(

Ilkley Maps Website 11 Mar 2013 13:32 #43421

• solarplexus
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received 20
kevmck wrote:
Hope this latest map doesn't inadvertently lead to any additions to the 'Ruined Rock Art' thread in the long run :(
I think the more people who know a "special site" exists, the more likely it is to be protected. Too much of our ancient heritage has been destroyed through ignorance.

Ilkley Maps Website 12 Mar 2013 19:49 #43427

• Callidus
Thanks Kevmck :)
Last Edit: 12 Mar 2013 21:51 by Callidus.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds