Burley Library

• Posts 1749
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Burley Library

Smoke and Mirrors. The Ilkley Library is housed in a lovely old building as were most libraries given to the people throughout the Land, they ousted Burley Library from The Grange in '74 so they could cash in on other uses for the building, eventually selling it, 'they' being Bradford Council.

Its like the enclosure act, or the depopulation of Scotland through the clearances. Basically Ethnic cleansing.....one minute you have rights, ownership through tradition, gifted, the next it is taken away, a resource to be plundered.

Cllr Palmer wanted to have a second bite at the cherry and sell the new library on to the Co-Op, there were secret meetings about a public building falling into private hands. But the flagship already sailed, Burley lost the old library at the Grange, the new Library is fit only for demolition, make it into car parking spaces.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 1539
  • Thank you received: 63

solarplexus replied the topic: Burley Library

That was then, this is now. You have to use the hand you're dealt with. At least we still have a community building - demolishing it serves no purpose.
Much as you might want car parking spaces, there's no chance of that happening, the site would go for housing.

• Posts 1539

Domski wrote: Don't know. I've done a bit of Excel training in the past so thought about offering to run a couple of sessions if there was interest.

Abigail Skerry - the admin of Burley Library is planning to "to restart "better" IT sessions soon" according to a post in F/b "Love Burley Library".
Perhaps offering your training services to her could be the way to go.

• Posts 1539

There's an exhibition this Saturday (8th April) from 10am to 4pm in Salem Church Hall (behind the Queens Head pub) by SOLS (Save Our Library Site).
Been told it'll have sketches, floor plans, info etc about how the group intend to kill off the library! Cafe & chill out centre anyone ........

• Posts 179
  • Thank you received: 16

Neo replied the topic: Burley Library

I still don't understand how there is demand, and if there is no demand then there is no reason for it to exist.

If there is demand then it should be able to stand on its own feet.

• Posts 1539

There is demand & it can stand on its own feet.

The main problem is people have no idea what is available through the Library service. The fault for that lies primarily with the Library service itself for not marketing what it has to offer.

Borrowing, ordering & renewing books is just a small part of what it does now.

• Posts 179

It's probably just me. I've been here 20 years and never been in and probably never will.

What else does it do?

• Posts 1539

Neo wrote: It's probably just me. I've been here 20 years and never been in and probably never will.

What else does it do?

Which would you prefer a dirty great long list of stuff, some of which may only partly be relevant to you, or something a bit more tailor-made?
I'm not a librarian, so quite a bit of it could be something of a revelation to me too!

From Bradford Council's library site: Online Subscriptions

The Access to Research service is a new initiative to give free access to a wide range of academic articles and research in public libraries across the UK
Subjects include art, architecture, business, engineering, history, languages, politics, philosophy, mathematics and the sciences.
Access is only available in the library.

The British Newspaper Archive website gives access to over 6 million fully searchable pages, featuring more than 200 newspaper titles from every part of the UK and Ireland.
These newspapers – which mainly date from the 19th century, but which include runs dating back to the first half of the 18th century – cover every aspect of local, regional and national news.
Access is only available in the library.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasper

• Posts 125
  • Thank you received: 14

RBC replied the topic: Burley Library

It is a great source of learning for those who choose to use it. My son benefits greatly from it but I accept it is dying because the world is evolving with the digital age not all great in my opinion.

• Posts 1539

Library lobby has been repainted - looks good. New beginning?

• Posts 179

Where did the posts between 7th April and 15th May go?

• Posts 27
  • Thank you received: 6

Jp replied the topic: Burley Library

Neo wrote: Where did the posts between 7th April and 15th May go?

They were in a different thread: www.ilkley-more.com/forum/burley-in-whar...nsfers.html?start=30

• Posts 1539

Important BPC meeting tomorrow night. The BPC are planning to vote on whether to sell the Library site.
As expected they issued a very misleading Parish newsletter. The content has now been challenged by all 3 of the Bradford District Councillors. Could make for a very heated meeting!

• Posts 1539

The BPC backed down - doubt they've had so many members of the public at one of their meetings!
They've deferred any decision until full costings are available for both the Library & the Queens Hall.

• Posts 125
  • Thank you received: 14

RBC replied the topic: Burley Library

If they keep it I will be amazed they clearly want the money out of it.