Ilkley neglected again?

• Posts 150
  • Thank you received: 15

RBC created the topic: Ilkley neglected again?

Reading today that BCC has rejected the request for CCTV in the town despite an increase in anti soial behaviour and crimes..the police aren't happy either.

Raises the issue again that is they the BCC are happy taking the town and surrounding villages countil tax etc and barely spending it on the area.

Whats it going to take?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 42
  • Thank you received: 10

Ozbeck replied the topic: Ilkley neglected again?

Part of the 'justification' being that Ilkley only has 71 crimes per month versus Shipley with 275. Instead of saying we want to reduce crime they are basically saying that this level of crime is acceptable because other towns are worse off . Sounds like they have given up trying.

A lot of money has been spent in Ilkley in the last few weeks resurfacing some very minor (low traffic volume - low traffic speed) side roads (Chantry Drive, Parish Ghyll Rd etc). I drove down Parish Ghyll Drive the day before they started resurfacing and couldn't spot a single bump or pot hole. The money could have been spent in a better way for the cameras (or for the numerous tire shattering potholes on the more major roads).

One has to remember though that these are not necessarily high quality people making the decisions.

• Posts 150

RBC replied the topic: Ilkley neglected again?

I can't see how we can carry on like this though?We seem to be singled out for special treatment or lack of from this sh*thouse council. A father was injured by youths last week walking his children he suffered injuries to the head and stomach.

What will it take?Someone to be killed?

Certainly not the right people making these decisions.

• Posts 12
  • Thank you received: 1

rufus2 replied the topic: Ilkley neglected again?

Clearly now is the Time to get out of Bradford ....

• Posts 1782
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Ilkley neglected again?

We had a massive debate on this on here 15 years ago, maybe 10, the last time a councillor campaigned for CCTV. We were all against it, I think most liberal minded people who value freedoms are. Elvis, a contributor on here was dead against it and was very vocal about that. He was among a party of good decent chaps who were attacked at the train station where there is CCTV, I often wondered if the evidence from that at the subsequent trial had any bearing and whether his mind was changed about CCTV. Now of course there is the 'if you don't break the law' and 'what have you got to hide' argument against the of who find the creep of the big brother scenario horrifying; My experience in Harrogate when trying to help an OAP by fetching her a ticket to park when she was waiting for her husband unable to get out of her car because of a disability and was being intimidated by a female traffic warden who when I intervened and resolved the issue at a cost to myself of 40p, got on her radio and requested the cameras were turned on me because I was interfering with her doing her job. A tool of intimidation! When there is a big event, 7/7 etc, the cameras are off, my truck got hit in Guiseley Carpark, I saw the car that did it, took it number, Police said very serious, hit and run, could be pissed etc, but couldn't be bothered to get the CCTV. footage. And nowadays everyone has a camera phone, cyclists with cameras on their hats, dash cams everywhere, if it kicks off the cameras come out. But CCTV might have pinned down who knocked that guy on on the Addingham three lane a few years ago, hit and run, thats the only event of any real significance where it might have helped.

• Posts 1648
  • Thank you received: 64

solarplexus replied the topic: Ilkley neglected again?

RBC wrote: Reading today that BCC has rejected the request for CCTV in the town despite an increase in anti soial behaviour and crimes..the police aren't happy either.

I wonder what you think CCTV is going to achieve. It doesn't prevent crime - pretty much all shops have cctv, but shoplifting still goes on. The Ilkley railway station has CCTV yet 4 guys nicked 3 bikes, then went to Leeds station and nicked another one: CCTV images released after multiple bikes stolen from Ilkley railway station

Burley Business Directory - Stead, Burley Woodhead & Burley in Wharfedale.
Burley in Wharfedale Venue Map

• Posts 150

RBC replied the topic: Ilkley neglected again?

The world seems to be coming that ever bit more violent these days, I would rather have it than not have it. A father walking with his two children last week was attacked by a gang of youths in Ilkley, he suffered head and stomach injuries from a bottle. Surely if the police want it people should be listening?

I can give you a clear cut of where CCTV can play a role. At the begining of May I was driving through Burley when we had the issues with anti social behaviour, I passed Kamrans and the corner shop where a group of youths had congregated and were throwing stones at cars. They threw one at my car and they cracked my windscreen while I was driving. Long story short windscreen was a write off (£380), I didn't hear back off the police (PC Brearley I think) for another 2 weeks. He advised he hadn't been back to me as they had been busy but he was letting me know that they had asked to check the CCTV at the shop(s) on that row and low and behold those that had it weren't working. If they had been working they would have picked the scum bags up. Thankfully they had managed to charge the said youths for other offences committed that night.

Ilkley is the only town without it by all accounts, I won't accept its down to budget issues because they find the money to blow on other folly.