Cycling- Ilkley Cycle Club, danger of death.

• Posts 1743
  • Thank you received: 42

mcnab created the topic: Cycling- Ilkley Cycle Club, danger of death.

I went cycling yesterday. Back in the day when I was a member of the CTC, it was a sedate affair, quite relaxing really. The literature full of chaps and ladies astride bikes stood at the top of steep inclines admiring the view. Now I see it is a race track out there with cyclists taking racing lines around the corners at speeds which exceed safe practice for car drivers, never mind cyclists with minimal tyre contact on the road, I was actually more concerned about oncoming cyclists hitting me than I was about cars. Its madness, reckless, anti social, stressful for other people using country roads on foot and I thought I would post this so that we can revisit it when someone dies out there this year or next, because it will happen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 90
  • Thank you received: 5

pahardie replied the topic: Cycling- Ilkley Cycle Club, danger of death.

Funny you should bring this up, was thinking along similar lines the other day. I was walking from the swing bridge towards the lido when a man in all the finery a cycle shop had to offer pelted past me. I paid no attention until I heard a clattering of metal, flesh and lycra. As he approached the bend by the cricket club he lost it and slid off. Fortunately he was fine and got back on but it was a bit reckless and lucky nothing was following or trying to overtake him.

• Posts 1743
  • Thank you received: 42

mcnab replied the topic: Cycling- Ilkley Cycle Club, danger of death.

I'd like to have seen that

• Posts 35
  • Thank you received: 3

leedsjon1 replied the topic: Cycling- Ilkley Cycle Club, danger of death.

McNab: - Couldn't agree more! The worst case I have seen recently is a cyclist running a red light (!) at a busy set of traffic lights in the centre of Ilkley. The problem seems to be that the current generation of Ilkley cyclists - many of whom are not youngsters and really should know better - seem to regard busy main roads like the A65 as their own private race track and seem to think that they are not driving a cycle but a high performance sports car. Don't any of these reckless individuals realise that in the event of a collision with a motor vehicle - even if this is just a glancing blow - the cyclist will ALWAYS come off worse? The attitude of these people towards basic road safety - not only their own but that of the other drivers on the road as well - simply beggars belief.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rufus2