Rockwood House

• Posts 4
  • Thank you received: 0

denrosh created the topic: Rockwood House

Would request help with an historical query.
I believe Rockwood House at Ilkley was once a hydropathical boarding establishment and I have been given a photo that I am trying to date. It shows a group of people outside the front and on the wall is a plaque stating the proprietor is J M Lister Pty.
Initially is this correct but would anyone be able to put a date or period from this information as the enquiry concerns family history.
I would be grateful for any help.
Best wishes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 1782
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Rockwood House

There is a Rockwood House at the top of Cow Pasture Rd. Now 7 or 8 flats, but could easily have been a Hydro. 1850?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=google+maps+cowpasture+road+ilkley&hl=en&ll=53.919855,-1.812177&spn=0.000473,0.001206&hnear=Cowpasture+Rd,+Ilkley,+West+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.919855,-1.812177&panoid=umvRbtHo3Cv3BD9uuMPBtg&cbp=12,232.1,,0,-12.78

Lister is a good old local name, there was once the Listers Arms, now flats. The name recycled by Wetherspoons.

• Posts 1782
  • Thank you received: 43

mcnab replied the topic: Rockwood House

never could figure how to display street view

• Posts 1648
  • Thank you received: 64

solarplexus replied the topic: Rockwood House

Ilkley Conservation Area Assessment pdf
Page 7, second column:
"...... The Grove Hospital was constructed in 1862. Some building land was released in 1858 when the Cow Pasture was enclosed: Craiglands, Troutbeck and Rockwood House were erected soon afterwards; .........."

Edit: Would it be possible to work out a rough date from what the people are wearing in the photo?

Burley Business Directory - Stead, Burley Woodhead & Burley in Wharfedale.
Burley in Wharfedale Venue Map

• Posts 4

denrosh replied the topic: Rockwood House

Many thanks Mcnab - looks like I've got the right place. Will have a look at the Census 1851, 1861 which may throw some names up.
Thanks again

• Posts 4

Thank you for the information. If I'm feeling confident I will try to put the photo on this forum so willcome back.
Best wishs for now.

• Posts 4

Thanks to the information given earlier I have had some success by looking at the Census for Ilkley. The 1881 is the first to show James Lister age 39, as the head of Rockwood House in Cow Pastures Road with his family and calling himself a hydropathic proprietor. He was born in Castle Douglas, Scotland but was the son of Thomas and Agnes Lister of Ilkley.

He is still there - with visitors - on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 Census but none of the visitors are from the hoped for Rosher family based in Norfolk. Never mind I have a 30 year gap to work on.

At least I have a large part of the query answered. Once again many thanks for your help.

• Posts 1

janicebennett123 replied the topic: Rockwood House

Hello Denrosh,

Think maybe James of Rockwood was my Great uncle. I have a photo of him and his wife, and Rockwood itself. Will look up the dates if you are interested. Is he part of your family tree?

Janice

• Posts 1

robertlaz replied the topic: Rockwood House

My Great Grandmother came to work at Rockwood House and met and married the owners son,( I will get names ) this is on my mothers side of the family, the photo you possibly have may be the same as i have somewhere in house, they settled in Aire Street in Middlesbrough and had two sons Tom and Jimmy and a daughter Kathleen, Kathleen met and married and irishman called Peter Brennan and settled and bought a bungallow in 21 St Aidans Crescent Billingham on Tees sometime in the 1930s, they had four daughters, Mary, Mavis, Joan and Kathleen, Joan being my mother,
My Great Grandmother became blind with Glaucoma in the early 1950s as it was untreatable then, my Nana Kathleen took her in and Looked after her until she passed away i think around 1968 when i believe she was 91, I knew her quite well and always had a tin of sweets under her chair which she gave out to me when i visited her, I will gather more information as i find it.

Robert